DEPARTMENT OF ENDOSCOPY
What is endoscopy?
Endoscopy is a non-surgical procedure used to examine a person’s digestive tract. During an upper endoscopy, an endoscope is easily passed through the mouth and throat and into the esophagus, allowing the doctor to view the esophagus, stomach, and upper part of the small intestine.
Similarly, endoscopes can be passed into the large intestine (colon) through the rectum to examine this area of the intestine. This procedure is called sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy depending on how far up the colon is examined. A special form of endoscopy called endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, or ERCP, allows pictures of the pancreas, gallbladder, and related structures to be taken.
Why you need endoscopy surgery/treatment?
Endoscopy may also be used to treat a digestive tract problem. For example, the endoscope might not only detect active bleeding from an ulcer, but devices can be passed through the endoscope that can stop the bleeding. In the colon, polyps can be removed through the scope to prevent the development of colon cancer.
Also, using endoscopy, gallstones that have passed outside the gallbladder and into the bile duct can often be removed.
Endoscopy is useful for investigating many systems within the human body; these areas include:
- Gastrointestinal tract: esophagus, stomach, and duodenum (esophagogastroduodenoscopy), small intestine (enteroscopy), large intestine/colon (colonoscopy, sigmoidoscopy), bile duct, rectum (rectoscopy), and anus (anoscopy).
- Respiratory tract: Nose (rhinoscopy), lower respiratory tract (bronchoscopy).
- Ear: Otoscopy
- Urinary tract: Cystoscopy
- Female reproductive tract (gynoscopy): Cervix (colposcopy), uterus (hysteroscopy), fallopian tubes (falloposcopy).
- Through a small incision: Abdominal or pelvic cavity (laparoscopy), the interior of a joint (arthroscopy), organs of the chest (thoracoscopy and mediastinoscopy).
Siva’s expertise in Endoscopy:
The Siva Hospital is one of the best ercp hospital , and the hospital handles all major endoscopy treatment and its other related treatments with our experienced doctors. Our department is headed by one of the most renowned doctors who is not only a medical expert in the field of endoscopy but is also an international faculty in the field of upper GI and laparoscopic surgery.